Serving to enhance historical understanding of Berkswell and District, this small and active group invites anyone interested in local history to join the group.
The Berkswell & District History Group originally formed when members of the Berkswell Society* decided to form a history group which eventually evolved into the independent group it is today.
The group actively seeks out new historical information and some of this work has resulted in several publications including 3 books, ‘In Flanders Fields the Poppies Grow’, ‘I Slept in every Bed in Berkswell’ and ‘Kiss me Again ‘Arry I Like It’. Details of these publications can be found at the group website berkswell-history.org
The group hold regular meetings, usually the second Wednesday of the month at 7.30pm, details of which can be found on their website.
Visitors and New Members Welcome
Visitors are welcome, usually at £2 per session unless other fees apply, or a subscription for Annual Membership can be taken out for £5. Membership runs from January to January. A downloadable application form is available for interested parties below:
This form can be sent to the Memership Secretary at B&D History Group, 51 Kemps Green Road, Balsall Common, Coventry CV7 7QS. Alternatively you can join at one the group meetings, which are usually held at the Reading Room in Berkswell. Consult berkswell-history.org for up to date information. It is also possible to join at any of the group’s meetings.
- Berkswell & District History Group is established to enable its’ Members and the wider public to widen knowledge of the history of the Parish of Berkswell and District.
- To assist in the preservation, protection, development and improvement of features of historic or public interest in the area.
- To document and collate such information as has been collected or given so that records and access to records and information is available to all.
- To publish or promote such information or hold meetings to discuss information relevant to or of interest to those supporting The Parish of Berkswell and District.
- To promote research into subjects or objects connected with or belonging to the Society.
- To act as a co-ordinating body and to cooperate with the Local Authority, other statutory authorities, voluntary organisations, charities and other persons having aims similar to those of the Society.
- To educate public opinion and to give advice and information.
- To raise funds and to invite and receive contributions from any person or persons whatsoever by way of subscription, donation or otherwise.
For more detailed information about the group visit their comprehensive website at:
*The Berkswell Society, established in 1972 was formed with the purpose of preserving and protecting the amenities of Berkswell and District. The group formed the Berkswell Society History Group which went on to become the Berkswell & District History Group of today.