13/12/05 – Rampant hockey men steal 2nd Place

Doug Macklam reports on the Berkswell men’s 1st team as they continue their impressive upward surge.

Match Reports for matches played on Saturday 10 December 2005

Mens 1st XI
BBCHC 2 v Standard 0

As the first half of the season drew to a close, Berkswell entered the promotion zone cementing 2nd place with a 2-0 victory over local rivals Standard.

After a sluggish start Berkswell soon returned to business as usual dominating territory and most of possession. Neat link up play between defence and midfield held Standard into their own half for much of the early exchanges of play. Darting runs from Rob Whisson, Andy Livingstone and Oli Talbot began opening up the defence and before long Berkswell were deservedly ahead. Rob Whisson took the ball at the edge of the D, rounded the defence and powered home the first goal with a fearsome strike at the top of the D.

Settling into a rhythm Standard gave very little away in the remaining minutes of the first half.

After half time Berkswell had become rattled by some of the umpiring calls and let Standard back into the game. Before long they regained their composure, applied themselves again and drove forward. James Bonnel took the ball on the right hand side of goal and his shot was deflected off a Standard stick and looped neatly over the keeper to put the game out of Standard’s reach.

Berkswell now look forward to a top of the table clash against Coaching Solutions West Midlands Division 2 leaders Newtown when they return to action in the New Year.

Ladies 1st XI
BBCHC 0 v Warwick 7

Additional Match Report from Sunday 11 December 2005

EHA Vase
BBCHC 0 v Neston & South Wirral 8

In this years EHA knockout competition, Berkswell travelled all the way to Chester to take on opposition from approximately 3 leagues above them. Despite the early start and the very late night before (the celebrated BBCHC Christmas Do) the team arrived in high spirits looking forward to a game in perfect conditions.

Berkswell were quickly on the back foot when Duncan Greenshields conceded a penalty flick which was duly put away and shortly followed by another for a goal keeping misdemeanour. Despite being 3-0 within 15 minutes Berkswell doggedly fought on. James Bonnel and Martin Stevens worked well in midfield to create forward momentum for Berkswell.

Stout defensive work from Doug Macklam, Duncan Greenshields and David Haggart kept the score line respectable at half time, with Berkswell trailing by 4 goals.

In the second half tiredness began to show and some heads dropped after a succession of Neston shots found the back of the net. Strikers Rob Whisson and Andy Livingstone created chances at the front although Berkswell were unable to convert any of these to goals. The final whistle went with the score line at 8-0, far from being dejected the Berkswell men had been beaten by a better side and many positives can be taken from this foray into the EHA Vase. The team all-round played well, confidently and battled to the end of the game.